<VV> Front end alignment

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Tue Sep 7 14:26:57 EDT 2010

----- Original Message ----- >
> Clipped from Ray's post: "The front end guy made all kinds of excuses but
> it was quite apparent that he didn't have the slightest clue how to align
> a car without a computer telling him exactly what to do step by step."
>
> Ask Jim Dodd the year he paid for a four wheel alignment, Jim was the
> first of our group to get a 4 wheel alignment on his Corvair. Not liking
> how the car was running at Lime Rock one year, we talked about what was
> wrong when?a passing fellow racer said your rear alignment is off. Jim
> explained how he just had a 4 wheel laser alignment done. The guy grabbed
> a broom stick to prove how much the rear was off. So much for the high
> tech alignment machine.
Smitty says;  At one of the track events Terry Stafford was doing slow
donuts in the parking lot with his tires squalling .  Paul Whelan and I told
him his front end was out of whack.  But I just got a 4 wheel alignment.  So
let's see.  We got a length of electric wire from a tool box and "stringed"
the front end.  He had 3/4 inch of toe out on the front wheels plus the rear
was toed out some also.  15  minutes later it was cornering like it should.
Probably could have got it really accurate if we used chrome wrenches and a
laser drop light.