<VV> Bad Quality Control

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 01:03:04 EDT 2010

   Last Friday, I decided it was oil change day, so I went to one of our flaps, got my oil, got the filter (I rather liked the fact that
I could get the oil filter, in stock!), went home, promptly drained the oil while it was nice and hot, replaced and re-torqued the drain
plug,removed the old filter, dumped the old oil out into my special drain pan (fits under the oil pan, with a screw-on funnel), filled the
new oil filter with oil, smear new oil on the oil filter gasket, set the oil filter under the oil filter mount, set the perfectly clean oil fliter mounting
bolt on the oil filter threads, begin hand threading the bolt home- just like I always do. This time, however, I'm beginning to think I've
forgotten how to screw the bolt in, as I cant seem to get the threads started. I carefully removed the oil filter, and after a few more unsuccessful
tries at starting the bolt, I found the problem- THAT M&TH%RF%%%!! oil filter had no center threads! It was just a hole!

I got on the phone, called the flaps (making sure that they knew i was PISSED)- they called the other flaps, who, of course did not have a fram ph-4
or equivalent, and I was basically stranded ( my corvair is my only car!) unless I did the unthinkable- put the new oil in, use the old oil filter, which
is what I did. This experience was enough to cause me to load up on oil filters, from you know who, just so I never have to buy a flaps oil
filter again!

The flaps I bought the filter from was understandibly preturbed about the whole situation, promptly refunded my money for the filter and
gave me another quart of oil. They took the oil filter off in the back room, never to be seen again!

Kevin Nash
Soon to be EFI'ed early spyder, daily driver