<VV> Advice on Rings (was Help - Oil Out Dipstick Tube)

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 23:26:21 EDT 2010

First, sorry about your bad luck with the new engine.

Second, how to isolate the problem to rings or valves.

Pull the cylinder up on top-dead-center

Pressurize the cylinder, it only takes 10 - 20 lbs.   My screw-in compression gauge has a quick disconnect from the hose to the gauge.  Pop the quick disconnect apart and use the hose end only.  Remove the Schrader valve at the end of the hose that goes into the cylinder.  Screw the hose into the spark plug hole.  Hook up a regulated air supply to the quck connect and listen for air escaping.   If you hear it in the crankcase it is rings (or a holed piston which is highly unlikely in your case) If it is in the intake, check the intake valve . . . . exhaust, exhaust valve.   If a valve is leaking losen the rocker until there is some clearance, if it still leaks it is a valve problem.

Even the best make mistakes once in awhile and I do it all the time . . . .  Check everything, find out what is wrong, fix it then enjoy your Corvair.   Don't panic at a puff of smoke at startup,  most of mine do it once every couple of years, parked at an angle, or just plain onreyness.   Do watch the compression, that is the true indication of your problem.  Good Luck.

tkalp
wichita, ks