<VV> Steering box grease weight ?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Sep 11 17:31:13 EDT 2010

At 09:12 PM 9/10/2010, Charles Lee wrote:
>Is the steering box grease same as wheel bearing grease ?
>
>I gthink it should be spec SSG code 4009, but I can't find that.  Is this
>90W or 140W, the types that are available at FLAPS, for steering linkage,
>etc, - none say "steering gear box."

I've always used STP oil treatment in steer gear boxes.    You know,
that thick syrupy stuff...  clings like snot on a mustache in
November.    Steer gear boxes here remain smooth.   Just dribble it
into the box until it's about as full as it will go.  It's liquid
enough to pour if you're patient and solid enough to not all run out
if the shaft seal is questionable.

tony..