<VV> JR on LM wheel cylinders / brake hoses / brake lines

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 12 04:00:28 EDT 2010

>But, there seems to be TWO kinds of flares.

And, you can make it more complicated  than that -- bubble flares are
generally antique European, but they come on both English cars and
Continental cars, with both English and metric flare nuts.  If one needs
a bubble flared line, it is generally cheaper to buy  a pre-flared piece
of line than a good set of bubble flare tools.  See archives for
discussion of flare tools a few years ago -- same outfit makes them for
bubble flares, too.

Pre-flared standard domestic style double flared lines also come with
SAE and metric nuts.

>There is also an issue with the FLAPS folks selling you mis-matched parts,

I seem to recall that this was a recent topic here (or maybe some other
list, I don't remember) -- (oh yeah, something about the wrong oil
filter not fitting) -- if you want it to fit when you get home, look at
the part before you leave, especially threaded parts -- buy an extra nut
of the size it is supposed to be and thread it on the part just to
check, or carry one in your pocket ...

>remember that this discussion is about CARS!

I thought maybe it was about using computers to source your parts
instead of your brain ...

>there is also copper line

NEVER EVER USE COPPER TUBE FOR BRAKE LINE in any vehicle that can go
over 3 mph or weighs more than 3 tons. If you want a flexible brake
line, get a flexible brake line -- they are often called hoses --
something, anything designed for hydraulic pressure in emergency use.
Copper does not qualify.

Bill Strickland