<VV> Electric fuel pump relocation

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 12 10:44:02 EDT 2010

I want to mount an electric fuel pump on the metal brace under the
passenger side feet.  There is a very good article in the Communique
on this.  Because mine has factory air, the evaporator hose passes
though the area where the pump would be located and the pump would
fit, but the fuel filter needed before the pump would not.  I decided
to locate the assembly on the opposite side in the reverse location
under the driver's feet. The line from the tank would be disconnected
from the fuel line that runs though the tunnel and then be fitted with
a shut off valve which I have already purchased.  I would then run
metal fuel line about 18 inches to the driver's side, and bend it 90
degrees to attach to the nozzle of the filter and connect it with
rubber fuel line.  The filter is also 90 degree inlet / outlet.  I
would then connect the filter with 1 f1/2 inch of hose to the pump.
The pump will have a 90 degree hose barb fitting to send the line back
though the wall and connect with another 90 bend of the return metal
line again using fuel hose.  The return line would then run 18 inches
back to the tunnel fuel line connection, bend 180 degrees and connect
with the tunnel line with a rubber hose  I know this is convoluted,
but I want to preserve my car as much as I can when making
modifications and do not feel like cutting the original fuel line if I
can avoid it.  My main concern is that it stand a reasonable chance of
working before I spend the six to seven hours that will be necessary
to install it at this location.

Stephen Upham
'65 Monza 110 A/C PG Hardtop
The Original Four Door Sports Car