<VV> Steering box grease weight

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Sep 12 15:38:48 EDT 2010

At 00:49 9/11/2010 -0400, Charles Lee wrote:
>Is the steering box grease same as wheel bearing grease ?

Although the shop manual specifies topping off the steering box with
ordinary chassis grease, it is apparent that the original fill of the
steering box was more fluid than standard #2 chassis grease.  After doing
some research I determined that the steering boxes were most likely
originally filled with semi-fluid grease, NLGI #00, something that is not
easy to find.  Amsoil makes it but only sells it in 35lb or larger
containers.  It is EP rated for use in bearings, etc:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gsf.aspx

>I gthink it should be spec SSG code 4009, but I can't find that.  Is this
>90W or 140W, the types that are available at FLAPS, for steering linkage,
>etc, - none say "steering gear box."

Some people have created workable substitute by thinning ordinary NLGI #2
grease [chassis lube] with 90W or 140W gear oil.

>Helpful vounter people try to sell me power steering fluid, and are quite
>adamant about that, but I decline politely.

They are obviously confused.  You are right to politely refuse.

>Also I'm thinking I should pack it full, with the 'pet cock bolt' removed,
>let it squeeze out of there while I tigten the shaft end-nut, then replace
>the pet cock bolt' to make sure it's full to get that upper bearing
>lubricated ?

This would likely blow out the seals and not only create a mess, but result
in no better lubrication than filling the box to the proper level.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI