<VV> 60 heads on 61-62 80 HP

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Tue Sep 14 15:36:30 EDT 2010

I was aware of the difference in the crossover tube size. I figure my 30+
years of pipe fitting makes this a
non-issue.

I was advised by an IECC member to use thicker head gaskets, just to make
sure, if I wanted to run regular
gas.

The lack of choke springs and such is a non-issue also because this is a
'61 Lakewood. It actually has a
84HP engine (POS if there ever was one built by GM) and it finally dropped
a valve seat. I'm not about to
repair the bad head so I have been looking for some decent 80 HP heads. I
have both '60 and '61s available.
I'm hoping they are serviceable with a bit of cleaning and lapping. I do
have new valves and guides I can use if
needed. Also I have a couple of sets of valve springs so with those and the
 ones currently on the heads I'm
hoping to find, at least, 12 good ones.

I've got most all the gaskets I need, including new viton o-rings and such.
 I'll have to pop for the thicker head
gaskets.

So far I've got $25 into this repair as I bought half of a parts car along
with another IECC member. I get the
driveline, axles and master cylinder. He gets the glass and all the rest.
We're happy campers.

With any luck I may get this wagon back on the road for cheap. I drove this
 car 125 mile round trip to work
each day when I was at Caltech in Pasadena. Got loads of use out of it and
now would like to make it my
daily driver again since I've retired. I really like that wagon. It's kinda
 ugly with a worn paint job but who
knows... It might get a new one if I can get it back on the road for  cheap.

This week is Route 66 Rendezvous in San Berdoo so this project is on hold
till next week at least.

Gotta go pick up the 60 motor and pull the one out of the '61. That should
happen shortly and then the fun
really starts.

Wish me luck and light a candle or two.

Tim Abney
IECC

In a message dated 9/14/2010 8:02:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,