<VV> Advice on Rings (was Help - Oil Out Dipstick Tube)

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Sep 15 02:10:31 EDT 2010

At 10:15 AM 9/10/2010, Jay Pitchford wrote:
>Brian,
>
>FWIW, I just spoke with the Total Seal Tech Center, and they state
>that the specs for the moly rings I ordered are 280-320. The rep I
>spoke with claims nobody at Total Seal ever says 400 grit is proper.
>
>Jay

Hmmm...   ...ok.

I've known people who used moly rings who didn't use anything any
coarser than *600* grit to prep cylinder walls.   Worked out
nicely.  These were high performance larger displacement engines.   I
always used that 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around the glaze buster
stones, with plenty of penetrating oil.   It left a satin finish to
the cylinder walls and moly rings usually seated well in just a few miles.

I'd really like to see what those cylinder walls look like...

When it comes apart, could you take a photo or two of the bad
cylinders' walls?

tony..