<VV> Customizing corvairs

DON W HILTPOLD JR igotstuff at msn.com
Wed Sep 15 15:51:42 EDT 2010

I like a good clean unrestored corvair as mush as the next guy, but to think how many of these perfect right of the show room floor corvairs are there? And I for one wish I had one or better yet could afford one. I do how ever own a unrestored 64 700 4 door sedan, not original, engine had its oil change at 50 thousand and sat for 30 plus years, engine seized and is still sitting with a gallon of WD40 in its cylinders. was and auto now a stick and the radio has been swapped out for a disc player, still fun to drive. But on the customizing note I have 5 corvairs that are all custom built in various stages ( currently out of work ) and so I accumulate parts for each as I go. Most of them were corvairs headed to the scraper so in my effort to save them I started the customizing, one is a 61 rampside that that the rear was so rusted out the engine fell out, so I cut the box from the cab and added it to a 85 shortened 85 grand prix chassis and placed a olds 260 behind the cab. A 63 couple that I got for free, which had low miles ( engine from it is in the 64 700 ) again sat for too long and rusted from the bottom up and was minutes from the just minutes from the junk yard, so I used the body to make a kind of truck box to go around the the back half of the rampside body, just have to make to splice look some what factory. The monster of all custom corvairs is my 61 corvair wagon that was cut in half and made into a 2 door, not just a seal up the back door but cut the front & back door up to make one, I bought this from a guy in Waukesha WI back in 79 and it was a 4 wheel drive on a jeep chassis, now its sits on a GTO frame that was made to fit under the body to match the 89 inch wheel base, I'm still working on getting all the pieces together ( yes it not finished yet ) because life keeps getting in the way. I do have the engine parts will be running a small black with a Dyer 671 blower. But all things aside I do what I can to save what ever I can when it comes to corvairs from being scraped and if making them into something else to do so then it has to be done, if I had my way I would take them all but the wife keeps  saying NO WAY. So to keep her happy I take what I can get into the garage. I can't save them all.
Don Hiltpold
doin what I can