<VV> 1960 to 1961 Cylinder Head differences

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 17:39:14 EDT 2010

I already have bakelite spacers on the Lakewood now and the carbs were
rebuilt just a few hundred miles ago so I plan to go with them. Also have a box
 full of carb carcasses along with several bakelite spacers.

Wouldn't use any other kind.

In a message dated 9/14/2010 9:44:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tony.underwood at cox.net writes:

At 08:28  PM 9/14/2010, peter koehler wrote:

>A final note: 1960's used an  aluminum spacer between the
>head and the carb base. This was changed in  1961 to a
>black bakelite piece. Suggest you use the bakelite on  the
>Lakewood. - Caveman Pete

This isn't just a  suggestion... ;)   It's damned near mandatory.   Do
NOT use that aluminum spacer.  There's a good reason GM dropped it
quickly... and with today's somewhat volatile gasoline it's even
worse  for carb boil-overs.  Use the black carb spacer.   with two
gaskets, not bare, one on each side of the spacer.

The gaskets help  insulate the carb more than they actually help seal
vacuum  leaks.   The carb flange and a fresh decent carb base are both
machined close enough that you'd likely get away with not using any
base gaskets at all and not have a noticeable gasket leak.    I've
seen lots of 'Vairs with just the bakelite spacer and no gaskets,
running just fine.

Still, anything to help prevent carb  overheating/heatsoak and the
accompanying boil-over will help make it  restart easier in warm
weather after it sits for a few minutes.   ...not to mention the
wasted fuel that drools down the carb throat as it  percolates in the
hot carb bowl.

tony..
the property
of the  writer, please attribute properly. For help,
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to:  VirtualVairs at corvair.org
Change your options: