<VV> Parking Brake Cable question - too short ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Wed Sep 15 21:42:17 EDT 2010

Is the park brake different for EM and LM ?

If so, is one shorter, and what other visible difference is there ?

Problem : I just installed Clark's cable, and reached into the bag for the
adjustment nuts ?  Aarrgghh....

I guess they figured we'd re-use the old ones ?  OK, but the old ones are
rusted tight to the old cable and I can't get them off, so I'll just get
some new ones, right ?

To be certain that I got the right ones before walking  a mile each way, I
called Clark's to get the right size :
The girl says "5/16 24" so I hike over to the hardware store to get the two
(2) 18 cent 5/16 24 nuts that Clark's does not include (why not ?).

So rethread the cable and wrestle with the 5/16 24's a while but no go, so I
rip the cable back out and take it with me this time (those pulleys under
the dash are NOT fun !)

So I try a few more 5/16 24, but they're not 5/16 ***24*** !
They're 5/16 ***18***.

OK, so back home and thread the needle again, - I'm getting pretty good at
this, the third time.

Now, the ball doesn't reach the handle under the dash, so I go down under
and extend the nuts all the way to the end of the adjustment part on the
tail end to get a few more inches.

Still the ball end does not reach.

Have I been short changed ?
Do I have an EM park brake cable ?