<VV> Lock to lock question of alignment and ratios ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Thu Sep 16 18:36:27 EDT 2010

OK, so is 16:1 = 3 1/2 turns lock to lock ?

When I turn the input shaft 4 complete turns, the Pitman shaft turns 90 degrees, which to me is 16:1 (16 turns would be a full circle, 360 degrees) ?

See :
http://www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1967MonzaQuickSteeringBoxDetails.htm

Charlie

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sethracer at aol.com
  To: Chaz at ProperProper.com ; corsaconvertible at gmail.com ; virtualvairs at corvair.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:49 PM
  Subject: Lock to lock

  In a message dated 9/16/2010 1:34:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Chaz at ProperProper.com writes:
    Flaming River link to the Corvair steering box:

    All new steering box manufactured from steel for strength with quick ratio
    (3 1/2 turns lock-to-lock) for Corvair and autocross applications. Heavy
    duty internal needle bearing design for longer life and smoother
    performance.

    Don't forget the shaft kit!!

    Also don't forget that it requires a flat to be cut to fit !

    Also my box is 4 turns (16:1), not 3 1/2 (14:1) ?

    Charlie

  Turns - lock to lock - has to be defined. Most people define it installed, in the car. The steering arm contact points are the limiting factors, not the box travel. Uninstalled, the box travels further. Also, the flaming River box turns the pitman arm tip a greater distance (than the stock box), though the steering arms, again, are the limiting factor when installed.

  Seth Emerson

  C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
  San Jose, CA