<VV> Camber compensator - Tony

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 18 04:07:02 EDT 2010

I wasn't going to argue with Mark about camber compensators vs. the 64
rear suspension, so I wrote a private post to a certain party, but since
you brought it up --

You are 100% correct Tony, except for my car, the 1960, which has, as
one of it's few 'modifications', 64 rear coils and leaf spring, adjusted
to my liking, and a HD front sway bar.  However, the leaf spring isn't
even clamped in a rubber cushion to the tranny, it rides against a
floating piece of aluminum plate with a centering hole -- maybe not
ideal were something to go haywire, but I have a lot of miles on this
configuration on several different cars, and yes, it too "pivots"
(nothing holding it).  I went to the trouble of installing all this on
my 1960 4-door sedan because I think it is a highly valuable addition to
any 1960-1963 Corvair.

Also, one can see my post on the subject in the <VV> archives from May
2008, repeated Dec 2008. Or, show up here on a dry day and we can take a
couple cars through the 'Carver Curves'.

The sole purpose of the rear leaf is to add some weight carrying support
to the weak rear coils (which, along with the front roll bar, are the
real "camber compensators" in this suspension), without adding to the
roll height -- a sorta low roll cheater spring..

The only one of these things that is of little value seems to be the oem
rear leaf on some early Porsche models -- generally replaced, by folks
that want something back there that works, by a true camber compensator
available from Vic Skirmants.  A case where GM's engineers way out did
the folks from Germany in a similar design, mostly 'cause the Porsche
didn't roll like the Corvair to start with.

Bill Strickland