<VV> secret rules

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 18 21:10:41 EDT 2010

A number of years ago, I expressed a viewpoint in the CORSA business
meeting. Previously I had polled a number of people, and had at least a
dozen supporters at that convention. In the room I could see at least half
of them. But those who disagreed quickly voiced their vehement opposition,
while none of those in agreement even raised a single whimper. It looked
like I was the only one who held that viewpoint. Now why would such people
not speak up? Truth is, intimidation is a powerful thing.

But then again, it sure seems that there are some “secret” rules in effect
which only apply to me. And obviously, the same rules are applicable on VV.
Those rules are:

1. No mention of the following rules shall be made, nor shall there be any
acknowledgment of their existing be made, ever. Deny, deny, deny.

2. Anyone disagreeing with a subject is required to respond, expressing
their disagreement. Extra points are given for hate mail.

3. Anyone agreeing with a subject is forbidden from responding in support.
Otherwise the above rule will be applied to them.

Note that all I have to do is reply to a topic, and then the above rules
kick in. It is not I who cause “havoc” (as a complaint from Jamie privately
stated), but the myriad of disagreeable posters, all of whom are apparently
bound by the above rules. Truth is, if you don’t want a certain subject to
be beaten to death, don’t put your two cents in. In other words, stop
piling on and let it die there.

What VV needs to do is to eliminate topic replies to the group, and allow
only private replies. That way, the legions who are offended by a post will
not offend the rest with endless negative responses to that person’s post.

And maybe CORSA should require supporters of a point of view to support
their spokesperson, and not be such lily-livered cowards.

As if THAT would happen. As I said, intimidation is a powerful thing. I
must be the only one who refuses to be intimidated.

Some years ago, I had a co-worker who stated “I am always right.” I thought
that was a pompous attitude, until he explained. “If I’m wrong, prove it to
me, and I’ll change my opinion. Then I’ll be right again. And if a person
knows he is right, why should he back down? “

I think he was right.

-Mark (resident lightning rod and object of hate)