<VV> Early vs. Late - issue of the superiority

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 00:09:37 EDT 2010

Oh Please, no more about the superiority of any Corvair over another: I'm
sure there are perceived (even real) improvements in the later models (just
kidding), that always is the case.

I bought my 62 coupe with 44K miles on it in 1967 and it had burnt valves.
There was an issue with valves early on, so I did the heads in high school
shop (at age 17) replacing the valves and ringed it. It was 90K miles later
(at 134K total) where a broken cam gear (Nylon gear on aluminum hub) left me
stranded. I did a complete overhaul, but even then just honed the barrels,
ringed it and replaced pistons, did a valve job, cam, lifters, and bearings.
I sold it 90K later in 1974 and it still was running great.

It left my girlfriend stranded once when the rear generator housing came
apart and it thew off the belt. But that is it other than occasional
tune-ups (every 20K) , brakes, tires, and one set of rear wheel bearings and
u-joints. It never had a belt throwing problem I hear others having.

For the era of car, it was just as reliable and certainly more fun to drive
as any other. More so at college because we could hear blocks cracking out
in the Dorm parking lot at Washington State University, at night (-20 F) and
I could go out the next morning and my Corvair would start and take us
skiing that next morning.

Are there risks and design flaws, sure, but it sure didn't prevent me or my
girlfriend who had the car by herself for a year in there (now wife) from
living life or worrying about the car.

Enjoy your Corvair, no matter what year you have. Educate yourself on its
needs, and watch (listen) for signs that could lead to problems. Then, enjoy
your car! I love driving mine and enjoy talking to others about it.

I'm really not into material things, but I love to drive, work on and think
about the current 1962 Monza 2 door Coupe Red/Red, that I currently have.
With only 68K miles on it, it is all original accept for the paint.

I guess I am obsessed about it. It's out in the sun, whenever there is sun.
Its not a daily driver like Teds, but gets maybe 1000-1200 miles a year on
it. The things that gave me fits back in college, the generator, I have
switched out to an alternator. I automatically replaced both rear wheel
bearings, just to have a fresh start, and added metal ball and seats in the
carbs. All it really needs is some upholstery work and maybe air
conditioning for those 90F days.

I now consider it reliable and drive it anywhere I would take my modern
cars.

When my wife and I go to a local resort to dinner, I don't let the (kids) at
the front drive it, however, even though they want to!

Mark Durham