<VV> Pinging Question Take deux

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Sep 20 16:42:31 EDT 2010

John
Before gas became unleaded, Regular leaded had WAY too much lead in it.

Most of us have dropped oil pans on Vairs and other old cars and seen an awful lot of lead in the oil.  Definitely hazardous.

Now you take 5 gallons of LOW LEAD AVGAS and dilute it with 7-8 gallons of UNLEADED gas, and there's enough TEL to do the job of lubricating, but not enough to gum up the engine.

As I remember, the gas stations around my house had regular leaded gas, and "Ethyl" leaded gas, which was (I guess) both more octane and more lead.

We always used regular leaded gas in our families  cars, as the Ethyl was too expensive at 34 9/10 cents per gallon, vs 29 9/10th cents for regular leaded.

Hank