<VV> FAVORITE "SNAKE OILS" FOR OUR CORVAIRS

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 20 22:16:21 EDT 2010

Well - don't need the lead substitute because we have hardened valve seats.
Octane boost, maybe... If you are getting ping on the highest available
octane.
Gas line antifreeze - most of us are not driving our vairs when they are
salting the roads - so, your call on that.
ZDDP - Use oil that has 1200 ppm or better and you don't need it.  Might
want to be using it on a fresh rebuild.
Techron - probably not if using synthetic oil.

Mobil 1 - 15w50 keeps your engine clean AND has 1200ppm phosphorus and
1300ppm zinc and (according to the chart at their web site) is recommended
for flat tappet engines.

Consider my comments as opinions and not technical advice.  As they say,
YMMV.

Later, JR