<VV> Fw: Fw: Camber Compensator - Doug

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 21 04:56:08 EDT 2010

>I'm not convinced the 64 leaf reduces droop.

You are quite right Doug! It doesn't, but one can not measure the true
effect in a static situation.  It only works when driving the car with
four wheels on the ground. Perhaps oddly, it somehow keeps them there
(that is what all the techno talk of roll centers and understeer is
about), as long as you don't go all Thelma & Louise.  My sister will
verify that it works though -- back in my salad says (what's that mean?)
she was in oncoming traffic, unbeknownst to me, in a twisty bit of road
when I was in a big hurry to go the other direction in a Vair with 64
rear suspension.  My wife will also agree that I did not roll this same
car at 70 mph into a sharp blind T corner, but it was a bit more
momentary excitement than necessary.  Praise the Lord and pass out
another dose of Common Sense!  And later, she even married me  <eyes and
mouth wide open>

I will agree that the concept (bar, springs, leaf) can work for swing
axle cars -- sort of like a piece of solid steel Snake Oil, maybe, but
driving is believing!

On an FC, it is important to use shocks with less than a max travel per
lclc in the Tech Guide -- I think it is 13 1/4", but it is a number you
look up when you aren't sure.

Bill Strickland