<VV> Camber Compensator

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Sep 21 09:15:28 EDT 2010

Jack your car up and measure the droop then disconnect the camber compensator in the middle and jack the car up again.  Measure the droop.  If the rest of the parts are in good condition you will find a difference.
Ken P

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com wrote:

I'm not convinced the 64 leaf reduces droop. When I jack my 64s up the wheels droop until the shock stops the A-arm. To remove the shock, I have to jack under the arm. The end of the leaf is connected by a pivoting link which is several inches long, which prevents the spring from exerting any lateral force to prevent the bottoms of the wheels from coming closer together. I think the Maximum droop is entirely controlled by the shock travel, just like an old-timey 1960-1963 Vair. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Ken Pepke said: <<By adding the transverse spring Chevrolet limited the angle of maximum droop at the rear wheel and the resulting dramatic increase o
f positive camber should the vehicle become sufficiently airborne to extend the spring to or near its maximum length.  The result is the vehicle 'lands' with the tire more close to vertical therefore far less likely to trip or for the wheel to dig into the ground / road. This limiting of droop could have also been achieved by using a shorter shock absorber / dampener.  There are two main objections to using the 'shock' to limit droop.  1.  Shocks are far better at controlling in compression and 2.  the stop point on a shock at full extension is positive and, over time could cause the shock housing to fail, while that transverse leaf spring cushions the droop at maximum.>>
 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on