<VV> CORVAIR CAM GEARs

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Tue Sep 21 17:29:27 EDT 2010

i agree with all of this , plus i like the gears with the safety ring. i
was buying them from federal mogul years ago with no troubles ever on the few
i  installed. Clarks has them now.
 i put the cam in the freezer overnight, heated the gear in my shop  oven
then they go together "snug"
i do about the same when installing guides in heads, i keep my guides in
the freezer.
the old reclaimed built in oven is just right for 2 heads.
ps: make sure all surfaces are very clean , including the inside of the
holes.
also , study how to support the gear before the actual moment. i put one
together for someone that tried it with not correct support that broke his
new  gear.
regards, tim colson

, BobHelt at aol.com writes:

Timothy,

Proper procedure (IMO) is as follows:
Freeze cam with key and thrust washer installed.
Heat new gear to around 400 deg F.
Quickly press gear in place (where it bottoms) and HOLD it there until
assembly returns to room temp.
Thrust washer should be held tight and not free to rotate around  cam.
Never never install a gear a second time no matter how good it looks.
(i.e., ALWAYS use a brand new gear)

Regards,
Bob Helt