<VV> Don't let this happen to you

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 28 00:31:06 EDT 2010

First - NOT my car!

This is the first time I've seen a piston (this one forged) burn a hole
through the bottom side (toward the ground).  It was in # 1 position.

What led to it?  Essentially a compaction of very small leaves between the
baffles and the cylinder.  Needles to say, BOTH sides have now been
thoroughly cleaned.

The car is a LM turbo and (so far - compression test) it appears that this
was the only cylinder with a problem.  It and the head have been changed out
and the motor is back together.  We (a group of us) are in process of
putting things back together.  The turbo stuff is next on the agenda.  My
opinion at this point... VERY LUCKY that it was not WAY worse.  Let's see
what happens when we actually start - and run it.

To give an idea how hot this got (without total destruction of the right
bank), take a look at the melted exhaust stack and plug boots.

This is starting to make me think about the guy (who?) with one head
(exhaust) reading in the 400s and one in the 200s.  He was posting about
that about 2 weeks ago.  If it has not been solved by now..... what is under
the baffles????

Later, JR