<VV> How was the VIN assigned/attached on 69s?

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Thu Sep 30 20:58:49 EDT 2010

Being a new '69 owner, and having undertaken a small project to read, and
scan, all of the Sixty-Niner newsletters, one item continues to puzzle me.
All documentation states the VIN was assigned in final assembly, not at
Fischer Body.  Makes sense.  But it also seems that the bodies were very
complete when they were shipped over from Fischer to final assembly -
including the windshield.  So how was the VIN tag installed on the dash
under the windshield?  Was the dash not completed by Fisher?  Isn't the VIN
tag it riveted in?    Was it done from under the dasy?  I'm sure I'm just
not seeing the obvious.  Dave