<VV> Starter problems once again,

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Sep 30 21:14:02 EDT 2010

If the solenoid were to not push the starter drive [sometimes called bendix] all the way into position it would not move itself far enough to energize the starter motor.  Were the solenoid to fail to energize the starter motor there would be a solid click sound but no gear grinding noise.  You are getting the grinding sound so the solenoid had energized the starter motor and the starter motor is turning.  You know the teeth on the flywheel / flex plate are good as are the teeth on the starter drive.  But, there is another set of teeth that cannot be seen, nor serviced, inside of the starter drive.  They engage the drive to crank the engine but internally disengage the starter drive when the engine starts to run on its own.  Replace the starter drive / bendix and chances are your problem will be solved ... till the new starter drive fails.
Ken P

*************************
Joe Reid <roder314 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Starter problems once again, I think this is the 3rd time in less  that 2 years,
the last time was about 8 or 9 months, the car is driven  as a daily driver.

I have replaced everything, flywheel, pressure Pilate, Everything! I  NOW, it is
sounding just like it did before, Just kind of bangs, sounds  like a ratchet, I
don't think the solenoid pulls all the way in ,  sounds like it kind of grinds
the flex plate, the teeth on both look OK  though. It has done the several
times, last time I replaced everything,  now I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Starters are usually pretty
easy to fix, but this one really has me stumped!. Joe