<VV> a plethora of dumb questions (distributor)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Apr 1 23:16:45 EDT 2011

Hi Ray,

Maybe not aftermarket exactly, a lot of rebuilders sandblast off the numbers.

Here's my suggestion, assuming the engine runs, to at least get you in the ballpark.  Most of the Corvair performance curves gave about 36 total mechanical degrees - in the case of the 140, 18 static plus 18 advance.  It's fairly simple to use the stock timing tab's 16 degrees and make a couple of additional marks on the balancer (you can use dividers too) so that you can see what the total timing is, and with a tach, at what RPM.  The stock 140 curve isn't a bad place to start, you can swap springs if you want faster advance, or use the advance cam from your other distributor if you're getting too much or too little advance.  Just don't go past that 36 total degrees (if the heads have been milled maybe 32) and listen carefully for ping.  Good luck!

--Bryan