<VV> Speed on Public Highways

ChiefTAM at aol.com ChiefTAM at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 14:40:49 EDT 2011

Well, as one of the "law enforcers" on this list, I would have to say
officially that none of this can be condoned, that the lives of the drivers, law
 enforcement officers, other travelers, pedestrians, etc. are put at risk
by this  type of behavior on public roads.  However, this does happen all the
time  and the internet is full of videos like the Z06/Ford GT.  Obviously
this  has been going on for a long time, but is now intensified by the advent
of video  and YouTube.  If you have seen the video of the motorcyclist, in
Russia I  believe, splitting lanes in rush hour traffic at speeds up to and
over 100 MPH,  it will scare the hell out of you.  There are also thousands
of  pictures/videos/reports of the carnage caused by reckless drivers on
public  roads.

The "official" line notwithstanding, I certainly don't subscribe to the
enforcement of speed laws that some agencies subscribe to.  When I hear
stories of officers writing citations for 1-3 over the limit, or for minor
speeds on interstates, it drives me nuts.  How about just mailing people  random
citations?  Nothing ticks people off more, and reduces support for  public
safety, than those ridiculous speeding citations.  Our Interstate  highways,
especially those in the Midwest, south and west, are certainly  designed for
safety and much higher speeds than the limits suggest.  That,  coupled with
vehicles that are engineered for much more safety than those of the  cars
in the Corvair days, only serves to limit public support for speed limits
and enforcement.

I once held a "speeding summit" in a community I policed, starting out the
meeting by stating "Hi, my name is Todd and I am a speeder."  It wasn't an
AA meeting, but it could have been, as the attendees did realize that
speeding  can affect anyone.

Now, for more admissions.  A number of years ago I took the brand new
Corvette (2006 Z51 Coupe) I bought the wife to NE Iowa to surprise my son at one
 of his high school football games.  Returning to Texas, I left Southeast
Wisconsin early Sunday morning, and arrived in Texas, 1009 miles later, in
13:20, which I didn't think much of, I was trying to get home.  Someone on
a Corvette website said he figured that out, and it was a 75.7 mph average
speed.  Again, not too remarkable, but that was total time, not running
time, and it included 3 stops for gas, two stops to grab a bite to eat, and
another bathroom stop, with the accompanying slow downs and start ups, as well
 as going through a couple of toll booths with their stops.  I guess the
running time speed average was probably a bit higher!  ;-)  On top of  that,
I averaged 28.5 mpg for the trip!  At no time during this 13 plus  hour trip
did I ever feel uncomfortable or notice the speed at which I was
traveling, nor did I feel I was traveling at an unsafe speed for the road or the
vehicle.  Modern sports cars are great!

Well, happy motoring.  I always think I am speeding in the 69 Corvair
Convertible, as when the speedometer reads 66 mph, it is actually only going  60!

Todd in MN

In a message dated 4/2/2011 11:59:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,