<VV> follow-up vacuum advance

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 21:57:57 EDT 2011

Howdy all,

     After I left my message earlier about trying to adjust the vacuum
advance I went and tested every one I own.  I had ordered one from Clarks
last year (they only have one part #, no different ones for different
engines) for the 63 with the 102.  I was delighted to find out that the one
they still sell is the correct one (#248) for a 140/4 and that it works at
exactly the vacuum levels it should.  I have now swapped this vacuum advance
onto the 66' (along with the correct 140/4 distributor from the parts
engine) and put inaccurate one from the 66 on the 102/pg.  Out of the other
3 vacuum advances I have two are #248's but require more vacuum to operate
than they are supposed to.  The other is a 199 I think and also requires
more vacuum.

    I also removed the 66' carb linkage in preparation to install one of my
two 65' 140 linkages on the car.  Any advice on making the linkage look nice
without making it stick?  I have a sandblaster available to clean it up but
what can I do to make it pretty and prevent rust?  Unless someone has a
better idea I guess I'll just mask off the pivot points as best I can and
paint them, then lube the pivot points... I hope there is a better (cheap)
alternative.  Powder coat seems like a great idea, but would require
dis-assembly and not be real cheap I imagine.
--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
Lake Ariel, PA