<VV> Requiem on removal of 90 degree gasket and torque on bolt

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 3 11:22:02 EDT 2011

I was able to get the gasket out by using Permatex gasket remover.  It
took a good soaking to get the chemical to work.  I placed a small
portion of plastic grocery shopping bag in the oil drain hole located
on the bottom section of the adaptor which is where the gasket mates
to.  I then filled the tray where the gasket mates to with the gasket
remover, reattached the adaptor and let it set for about five hours.
When I took it apart and tried to get the gasket out, it took about
another ten minutes of scraping at it to finally get it out.  It
dropped off in my hand in one piece. It was an original asbestos type
gasket.  It may have been in there for 46 years!!  As far as the
torque value on the attaching bolt, I set my wrench at 17 lbs. When I
was tightening, I got the feeling that it was too much as I was
tightening and stopped before reaching that value.  I probably put
10-12 lbs. on it.  I drove it to the NTCA meeting on Saturday and I
didn't seen any leaks.  I'm also happy to announce that the Monza is
no longer "marking its territory" in the area around the filter
Thanks to all that responded.

P.S. I decided to go back to using Brad Penn Racing oil. (the "green"
oil) with five super magnets on the bottom of the filter... extra
protection, you know.

Stephen