<VV> what causes a dead cylinder

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 3 21:39:16 EDT 2011

"To me a list of what might cause a particular problems is a shopping list of 98% un-necessary purchases and parts replacements unless it is backed up with a list of how to test if a problem really exists on my engine"

Some of us like to replace common wear parts periodically to keep from being stuck on the side of the road. It is referred to as PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. All tune up parts are common wear items and certainly don't cost much. And these "old, good used" parts also at that time can assist in diagnosing problems henceforth they become equipment.
Now my dad would say he doesn't need a radiator hose if it was not leaking coolant on the ground. Or a fan belt if it was not snapped. He was from a different era where a "buck was a buck" (depression era).
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado 81301 (where a buck is still a buck)