<VV> Speed on Public Highways (more opinion)

sethracer at aol.com sethracer at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 22:02:03 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/3/2011 8:33:57 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:
We have auto cross
events, race tracks and drag strips for this type of "need for speed"
driving.

Stop endangering lives for thrills.

Stephen U
Like Stephen, I read all the reminiscences of the writers. I am glad to hear that most of them were distant memories, and not done "just" for thrills. Like other writers, I have - in the past - committed minor indiscretions. 135 once in an SHO Taurus and 130 in a Corvette - not my current one. But I decided many years ago that, while speed, in itself, in not dangerous, wrong speed for the current conditions is. The problem with heavy duty speeding on the street is that you do not have controlled conditions. That is obvious when you are on some urban expressway, but not as obvious on a open road, even a flat, featureless landscape. Things can go wrong. A tire with a problem or a piece of steel discarded on the highway. Things that, at 70MPH are a problem, become a disaster at 100+MPH. So, generally speaking I drive quite conservatively on the street, because of the uncontrolled conditions. I know I am tempting fate, but I will say that the last ticket on my record was a speeding ticket 85 in a 65 zone, in a friend's new 240Z - in the fall of 1972. That is either the reason or the result of taking up Road Racing, then Autocrossing as a hobby. Sure, I have spent countless dollars on building and running cars and traveling to races, but it might be less than the cost of the fines and insurance premiums, had I pursued the same activities on the street. (That may or may not be true, but it sounded pretty good in a pitch to my wife!)

I am not just passive about this. Since Fremont dragstrip was closed down to be replaced by a shopping mall or industrial park (30 years ago we are still waiting), there have been occasional outbursts of late night racing in the back streets of industrial parks. (Think "Fast and Furious") A couple of times someone has gotten hurt, usually a spectator, even killed. Each time that happens, I trot out and send my "letter to the editor", pointing out that the Fremont City Council who closed down the strip for no good reason should carry the burden of the death or injury. They were, and still are, ignoring reality. I then offer the local solution of the SCCA autocrosses still available in the area for the folks who really want to drive fast - safely. I realize that this is not necessarily the goal of all of the participants, but it needs to be offered. Just last week, a local newspaper writer added up the cost of a egregious speeding ticket, (40 MPH over). His total for the court was over $2000, and that didn't cover the increased insurance costs. Okay, we haven't reached the "Finnish Line" (sorry!) where fines are based on personal income levels, but $2000 would make a dent in my racing budget. Now, I will add that I still enjoy driving cars fast and driving fast cars. But I am very careful on the street. Zero to 65 at a freeway on ramp (especially a cloverleaf) can be fun. Driving at 85 MPH on a freeway designed for 90+, not so much fun.

Be safe out there.

Seth Emerson