<VV> Insurance Photos at Autocross events

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Apr 3 22:25:22 EDT 2011

At 20:22 4/03/2011 -0400, Dave Keillor wrote:

>The license numbers of autocross participants have nothing to do with
>denying claims.  There is at least one insurance company that believes
>that autocross participants tend to be more aggressive drivers and
>therefore more accident prone.  This company will refuse to renew
>policies of autocrossers.

Although the insurance industry is heavily regulated by the government,
they still have some ability to make policy decisions based on perceived
risk.  In my mind the company who cancels policy holders who autocross
their cars gets rid of customers who:

1) Can intensely focus on the driving task when needed,
2) Have practice positioning their vehicle in tight spaces and have a
accurate perception of its physical size and dimensions,
3) Have an understanding of the handling and braking limits of their
vehicle, especially with respect to obstacle/collision avoidance.
4) Have maintained their vehicle's roadworthiness (at least to pass tech
inspection) or have upgraded its performance with improved parts,
5) Have had instruction and practice with aspects of vehicle safety and
pedestrian safety at moving events.

It seems to me that some other company(ies) might stand to gain by insuring
these folks.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Exploring the limits of FC handling: