<VV> Dangers of Re: Speed on Public Highways

Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 3 23:37:02 EDT 2011

RE: Dangers of Re: Speed on Public Highways

Hi everyone,

With all this discussion on high speeding driving I have to add my bit from an Australians point of view.

Each time I travel to the USA, which I  have done at least 16 times in the past 20 years I find that's cars on US roads are travelling much faster than I am used to. 75 or 80 MPH is very common. Drive at this speed in Australia and your drivers licence will be lost for 2 years!

Australia is a country very much like the USA, but many of our major freeways and divided 4-6 lane highways have a maximum speed limits of (believe it or not) 50 MPH.

Our speed limits are strictly enforced . One mile per hour over the limit and your fined and given demerit points. Once you have lost a certain number of points your licence is taken from you and you have to apply again.

On a side note Australia was the first country in the world to make wearing seat belts law. This became law back in 1969. So we have a whole generation who know nothing else and few if any Australians would travel in car without a seat belt.

So I expect my fellow American Corvair owners would think our cars were travelling very slowly, but it has resulted many lives being saved. No question about this.

I drove our 1965 Monza in the USA at speeds up to 90 MPH. Our Corvair in Australia will never see speeds higher than 60 MPH because that is as fast as we can drive on our roads.

Regards to everyone

Carl L. Kelsen
RHD 1965 Monza convertible
Australia