<VV> FC paint questions

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Mon Apr 4 13:50:35 EDT 2011

On 4/4/2011 1:19 PM, Wesley Heiss wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know what color paint was used on the steering column
> and support brackets of a 1962 Rampside? Was just going to paint it low
> gloss black however what's left of the original paint seems to be a very
> dark metallic grey. Possibly the same color used on the bed floor?

Correct.

Well, possibly correct.  The steering column was painted, if not the
same color as the load floor (which was the same color as the load floor
in Corvans and non-deluxe Greenbriers), then in a grey color that was
very similar.

The support brackets, however, were a low gloss black.  I think.  It has
been a long time since I have seen one that has not been repainted.

> Also were 62 Rampsides built with red interiors? Every one I have seen seems
> to be fawn. The corvairkid website lists red as an interior option for a
> 'custom' Rampside color but I'm not clear if that's just the vinyl accents
> or the interior metal surfaces.

There was no red interior option for Rampsides, be they custom or
otherwise.  The red interior option (and other interior option colors)
were available only for 'custom' Greenbriers.  Not for Corvans or pickups.

Fawn was the one and only interior color for Rampsides and Corvans 1962-up.

--Bob Marlow