<VV> Belted Helmet!

Ted Duke teduke at embarqmail.com
Mon Apr 4 18:50:10 EDT 2011

Jim,

Many years ago I was on a School Bus Safety Committee here in Rockbridge
County, Virginia.  We recommended strobe lights and that the driver turn
on the bus flashers before stopping as a warning that the bus would stop
(the SCHOOL BUS unloading lights flash when the door is opened) and seat
belts.

None of these was initially approved because all Virgina school buses
must be the same.  Eventually (years later) Virginia installed strobes
on all school buses and directed the drivers to turn on the flashers
before stopping.

We were told that there was not room for three seat belts per seat and
that in some cases the kids were three to a seat it would be a mistake
to install two seat belts.  We argued that two to a seat should be max.
Nothing's changed as of now.

Ted