<VV> Fwd: follow-up vacuum advance

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:02:35 EDT 2011

Ken and others,

     Thanks for the compliment but it undeserved =P.  I have a long history
of cutting way too many corners, getting impatient and slapping things
together before they are really "finished" and worse.  I guess in my old age
(31 next month hehe) I'm finally starting to learn my lesson and at least
make a better attempt to do things right some of the time.  My shortcuts
came back and bit me enough times that I'm starting to finally catch on.  It
also helps that I finally have a car that is fairly decent.  Up until now
I'd rather do a bunch of things halfway and make the car "ok" than have one
thing nice and the rest falling apart or non-functional... now I can focus
on trying to make it really nice one bit at a time.

     I didn't have the resources to do any really accurate baseline testing
(I want to get a Gtech as soon as I can swing it) but what I was able to do
was a few late night runs up and down the interstate side by side with my
brother's 2009 Honda Fit Sport up to 80mph.  The highway is just a couple
miles from my house so this summer I'll be able to repeat the runs against
the same car with the same drivers on the same stretch of road for
comparison.  Last year we were neck and neck... so close that I came out
ahead sometimes and he came out ahead others.  His Fit is supposed to run
the 1/4 in 17.9 so that is my base comparison.

     I definitely could have launched harder and gained a bit, but I always
feel like I'm going to break something on a hard launch since the Vair'
really digs in when it comes to traction.  Also my carbs were not properly
balanced, linkage wasn't quite right, and of course the timing curve was in
question.  This year All those issues should be completely resolved (except
I still won't want to do a bunch of really aggressive launches).

     I'll be sure to report back when I get to do some test runs, and again
if I get my hands on a Gtech to get some numbers.  I've recently become
convinced that those things are really pretty good, particularly for 1/4
mile and 0-60 times.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
66', 65', 63'