<VV> Insurance Photos at Autocross events

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 12:04:28 EDT 2011

Dale,
Well said!!   I would add a number 6) to your excellent list of
descriptions of the drivers these insurance companies are canceling:

6)  Can and do limit their extreme driving to the autocross track  where
any errors are unlikely to result in serious damage to themselves or  others.

Frank Burkhard
Boonton, NJ 07005

In a message dated 4/3/2011 10:25:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dkdewald at pasty.net writes:

At 20:22  4/03/2011 -0400, Dave Keillor wrote:

>The license numbers of  autocross participants have nothing to do with
>denying claims.   There is at least one insurance company that believes
>that autocross  participants tend to be more aggressive drivers and
>therefore more  accident prone.  This company will refuse to renew
>policies of  autocrossers.

Although the insurance industry is heavily regulated by  the government,
they still have some ability to make policy decisions  based on perceived
risk.  In my mind the company who cancels policy  holders who autocross
their cars gets rid of customers who:

1) Can  intensely focus on the driving task when needed,
2) Have practice  positioning their vehicle in tight spaces and have a
accurate perception  of its physical size and dimensions,
3) Have an understanding of the  handling and braking limits of their
vehicle, especially with respect to  obstacle/collision avoidance.
4) Have maintained their vehicle's  roadworthiness (at least to pass tech
inspection) or have upgraded its  performance with improved parts,
5) Have had instruction and practice with  aspects of vehicle safety and
pedestrian safety at moving  events.

It seems to me that some other company(ies) might stand to gain  by
insuring
these folks.

Dale Dewald
Hancock,  MI