<VV> Rear bumper temperature

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 5 17:57:51 EDT 2011

Sounds as if the engine is running REALLY hot.  It was not driven since
2002?  Likely, a mouse or other animal made a nest under the fan shroud
which is blocking the cooling air.  You'll need to remove it, inspect and
clean out all debris between the cylinder and head fins.  As a quick (but
not conclusive) check, remove the cover that is located just above the oil
cooler to see if it is blocked.

Do not drive the car until you have corrected the cooling.  Overheating
leads to dropped valve seats and that gets expensive.  Running synthetic oil
will not about 20 to 25 degrees off of the engine temp at highway speeds
when everything else is as it should be.

The damper doors should close pretty quickly (less than a minute?) after the
engine is shut off.  Take a look at them now - while the engine is cold.
Are they still open?  If so, the thermostats in the lower shrouds have
failed.  New ones are around $60. each.

Later, JR