<VV> Windshield Sealing

eamsquared at comcast.net eamsquared at comcast.net
Sat Apr 9 09:18:28 EDT 2011

Dale,

I purchased my Corvair new in 1966 and used it as a daily driver for 8 years and 100,000 miles.  During that time period I had the usual rust problems around the windshield and dash which I repaired as I also replaced the windshield.  After my last windshield rust repair in the mid seventies I completely sealed the gap between the body and stainless windshield trim to prevent water from entering the cavity created between the trim and body.  I filled this gap in the rear window also.

My Corvair has not been used as a daily driver since 1974 and has been garaged since 1976.  With that in mind I do want to state, however, that I have not had any windshield rust problems since 1974 when I sealed the gap between the windshield trim and body.  The concept is to prevent water from entering the cavity.

A similar concept is presented by Frank Regal on page 21 in the November 2010 issue of the Communique.

Erich Meyer

Bayshore Corvair, NJ