<VV> Question #2: Federal Courts

chaz at properproper.com chaz at properproper.com
Sat Apr 9 14:01:22 EDT 2011

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one in court, so far sucessfully.

Your town or city should have a law library that is open to the public.
When I needed legal advice, I went there and found the answers that
several thousand dollars of 'free consultations' couldn't buy !

They have local, state and federal books and indexes to find (nearly)
any case.  They usually have very helpful staff who help you navigate
the books, but cannot give legal advice, just help guide you through
their vast resources.

A lot is available online, too, but you need to be even more careful
there !

In any case, one important part is to ensure that what you find is
relevant in your court's jurisdiction, and that what you find has not
been reversed or overturned by a subsequent court ("Shepardize" the
case).

Sometimes they sell the books (older vrsions, but still useful, but need
to be "Shepardized" !), which I bought, saving me many a trip.  I kept
the 'good stuff' as a souvenir of my victory over my mini-Bernard Madoff
wannabee and a few car mechanics (not to start that thread again).

Hope this helps ?

Charlie
The Proper Pro Per.