<VV> Fwd: Windshield Sealing/Option 3

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Apr 10 20:15:24 EDT 2011

In my experience with four LMs (one stripped and painted twice in twenty
years or so) option 3 (the Fisher Body way) worked very well.  In each case
the windshield mounting pinchweld was thoroughly cleaned, treated with a
rust  eater (phosphoric acid if I remember correctly) painted with Rustoleum
rusty  metal primer (fish oil based), and top coated with black Rustoleum
before  getting its regular paint.  The two drip holes were enlarged by
necessity--the rust was cleaned out.  In two cases I also sprayed a  phosphoric
acid rust eater up into the underside of the area via the lower vents  (after
brushing and vacuuming all of the dirt and crud out of the  area--especially
on top of the lower hinge inner reinforced mount), then sprayed  the
Rustoleum rusty metal primer up in there as best I could.

The standard mounting adhesive rope as provided by Clark's or a local body
shop supplier was used and butyl caulk filled the gaps.  Back then I also
used the sacrificial anode clips on at least one lower trim mounting post to
 slow rust/corrosion.  By keeping the area under the stainless trim clean
(flushing with water at least each spring and fall) the lower windshield
areas  stayed rust free in the usual problem areas for decades.

Today I'd probably use POR15 instead of the Rustoleum and I don't know  if
I would be able to find the anode mounting clips.  But  I'dd still do it the
same way.  I don't have a garage and neither  did the owner that I sold one
of the cars to, but all held up better than  the original job Fisher Body
did--the same procedure, just more  care.  If only other parts of the cars
had held up so well.......

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Corvanatics