<VV> EM wheel bearing question

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Apr 11 01:26:23 EDT 2011

I have found many used bearing to be real loose, i.e. easily rotated
axially to the shaft and (hard to describe) easily rotated radially to
the bearing rollers. What I mean is the bearing housing seems to rotate
in all manner of directions relative to the axle. The rollers are barrel
shaped, not typical roller bearings with flat sides, so there is an arc
of movement not found on front wheel bearings of the cup and cone style.

The inner race should be tight on the axle shaft, "no loose on the
shaft" at this point.

Grease it and place it back in service. Hope that takes care of the
squeak. If it rumbles, then it is bad.

Frank DuVal