<VV> oil question; using Bob Helt's chart

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Apr 14 18:05:14 EDT 2011

Neat chart, Bob, it provides the plain-spoken guide I was seeking.
Thank you for sharing it.

Now, to ensure that I understand it correctly, I have grabbed a bottle
of Quaker State 10w-40 that I purchased only a few days ago for use in
my wife's modern car.

Starburst on the front?  No.

Two-letter designation at the top of the donut?  Not quite.  The top
half of the donut reads API SERVICE SN, so if what you mean is that the
two-letter designation should be at the 12-o'clock position, it isn't.
But if what you mean is that the designation should be in the top
portion of the donut, it is.

Since the two-letter designation is SN, does it say ENERGY CONSERVING or
RESOURCE CONSERVING at the bottom of the donut?  No -- the bottom of the
donut is blank.

So I reach the "OK to use" box.  Correct?

Next I grabbed the only other oil currently in the garage, a lone bottle
of Shell Rotella T 15w-40.

Starburst on the front?  No.

Two-letter designation at the top of the donut?  Here again, it is the
top half of the donut, reading API SERVICE CJ-4/SM.

Since the two-letter designation includes SM, does it say ENERGY
CONSERVING or RESOURCE CONSERVING at the bottom of the donut?  No -- the
bottom of the donut is blank.

So again I reach the "OK to use" box.  Correct?

Now, Bob, what about the carryings-on about zinc and phosphorous and
things not in modern oils that ought to be in our old cars?  Does the
guidance provided by your chart mean that I can not worry about this?
Or should I still seek out the oils that claim to have higher levels of
these ingredients and/or are marketed to the collector car crowd?  Or
should I add something like ZDDP Plus or Cam-shield?

--Bob Marlow