<VV> oil question, here's an answer

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Thu Apr 14 20:36:34 EDT 2011

A couple of months ago, I read the oil selection article by Richard Widman,
http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf
and noticed that while he of course, didn't recommend a specific brand,
careful reading of his conclusions revealed that he liked
Amsoil's 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AMO). Specifically, because it's
cold-startup viscosity was similar to a 10W-30 oil.
His article had indicated that cold-start viscosity is very important, due
to the fact that you need an oil to penetrate and resist
shear at cold startup temps, where the highest wear can occur, if
viscosities are actually too high.

I ordered a 12 quart case and was immediately impressed by the fact that
this high-zinc product is clearly labeled as high-zinc,
and for flat tappet, high performance, higher mileage engines:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx  Hit the link and when
the page appears, click on the photo. You will see that you will no longer
have to wear your glasses in the auto parts store,
to find which oil to buy, as it is plainly marked. The cases are marked the
same way. This is the first oil company that has
clearly marked their product to reflect the needs of our group of buyers, a
slightly older crowd, with older-design, flat tappet
collector engines to maintain.

I changed the oil in our '64 Monza convertible, which had always been a
noisy-tappet engine until it warmed up, and
within the first ten seconds, it became silent and has never clicked again.
We will be using it in our autocross car this summer also.

Try it. You can order it online from that site and you can finally realize a
new feeling of confidence in your car's oil selection.

Mel Francis,
Oconomowoc, WI, 53066

Re: <VV> oil question