<VV> Oil question

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Fri Apr 15 22:17:19 EDT 2011

My partner bought the '64 convertible last summer at the Iowa convention,
and even last summer, the lifters would click a bit on startup.
It was probably just a heavier-weight oil, and the car was kept inside our
workshop during the winter. I started up it every few weeks,
and it was always noisy, sometimes to the point of sounding like it was
damaging itself. Even though the oil wasn't that dark yet,
the engine obviously needed an oil change badly, so it got the first of the
Amsoil 10W-40.

The cold-flow ability of this oil has really cured this car on startups and
proved to be an encouraging first test.
I think the high zinc content also helps the sliding rocker-to-valve contact
areas and valve guides. Even warmed up, overall
operation is quieter and smoother than before and the oil change so far, is
the only service that has been done to the engine.

I added it to my '77 V8 Monza and that engine exhibits the same improvement.
I was running a current Valvoline 10W-40
in that engine, without any added zinc. Cold starts with that engine made
all sorts of soft clunking and tapping noises, until it
reached operating temps.

The oil discussions on VV really caught my attention, since I had ruined the
cam in my '78 Ranchero a few years ago, not
realizing what was going on with these newer oil formulations.

Mel Francis
Oconomowoc, WI