<VV> Fuel mileage

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 12:32:01 EDT 2011

Right On, Clark!
Further on the "overdrive transmission", the important thing is the OVERALL
 ratio from engine to rear wheels which takes into account BOTH the
transmission  ratio in top gear and the axle ratio.  Most of the Corvairs have the
3.55  to 1 axle ratio and 1 to 1 top gear transmission ratio giving
something like  3000 engine rpm at 60 mph.  In contrast, my 1995 "Dustbuster" Trans
Sport  Minivan has a 3.06 axle ratio and an overdrive ratio (less than 1 to
1) in the  4th speed of the 4T60-E auto trans.  The result is only 1800
engine rpm at  60 mph.  This gives me 26 to 28 mpg on long highway trips with an
engine  (3.8 liter) that is 40% LARGER than the Corvair's 2.7 liter engine.
GM did have a 3.08 axle ratio that they put out briefly to achieve better
mileage for the Economy Runs in the 1960s.  That would certainly help
improve highway mileage.
In addition, a modern EFI engine has computer-controlled feedback from the
exhaust gas oxygen sensor that continually adjusts the EFI to maintain the
correct fuel to air ratio giving great mileage.
But perhaps the GREATEST influence on highway mileage is due to the "nut
behind the wheel".  I'm continually amazed at the number of people who come
up behind me in traffic, pull out and pass me and then race to the next
traffic  light where they have to JAM on their brakes to stop at the light.
Many  times, by the time I coast up the to the light, it has turned green and I
can  get through it WITHOUT stopping.  Guess who's getting the better gas
mileage!!

Frank "tightwad" Burkhard

In a message dated 4/16/2011 7:54:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,