<VV> Fuel Milage

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 16 13:13:04 EDT 2011

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 07:53:50 -0400
> From: "Clark Hartzel" <chartzel at comcast.net>
> Subject: <VV> Fuel mileage
> To: "Virtual Vairs" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> Harry Smith wrote about using a Corvair as a daily driver. I doubt a
> Corvair is going to get 20 MPG in the city. I have never gotten more than
> 22 MPG in any Corvair I ever owned. Corvairs have two major drawbacks for
> good fuel economy: carburetors and no overdrive.
> If you are looking for good economy get a small fuel injected car with an
> overdrive transmission.
> Clark Hartzel

  With a 5-speed transmission, with carburetors, corvairs get very close to 30 miles per gallon. I've often wondered
how well corvairs would have sold if the factory would have developed a five speed for them-given that one of the
reason's vw's outsold corvairs was because of their better fuel milage. A five speed would have taken away alot
of the fuel milage advantage, while making the corvair even more fun to drive than it already is!

Kevin Nash