<VV> Corvair Fuel Mileage

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sat Apr 16 13:35:21 EDT 2011

Hi Harry,

I think a convertible Corvair would be a lot of fun to drive, and the real question is if the mileage is at least ok.  Bear in mind that in the last 10 years, the standard for 'good' mileage has gone down quite a bit, to the point that anything over 30 in the highway is considered really good.  Mid 20's in the city is likewise what many of these cars get.  A Corvair PG will get around 20 in the city, low 20's on the highway, depending on the exact combo and how fast you go.  An electronic ignition will help it stay more consistent, although points can do well if you check them every 10k as the manual suggests and the distributor is in good shape.  Given you are trying to keep your fuel costs down, I would look for a car with an engine that uses regular.  Just keep in mind it will require more upkeep than something newer.

--Bryan