<VV> Gas mileage

Richard.Gaffney at gulfstream.com Richard.Gaffney at gulfstream.com
Sun Apr 17 12:32:54 EDT 2011

I hear people complaining about the cost of premium gas vs. regular or mid
grade. At Wal-mart and the large grocery store gas stations, it is only ten
cents a gallon difference between grades. We are about $3.70 in Savannah
for regular, going to $3.90 for premium. If I have a 110HP that requires
premium to prevent knocking, and can get 22 MPG or better, and decide to
retard the timing until it doesn't knock on regular, then getting 18 MPG or
worse, and driving like an old lady (Not My old lady, who was born with
lead in her shoe!), I am losing money and fun. Do the math: 10 gallons of
premium, $39.00 dollars, 220 miles, equals 17.7 cents per mile. Regular
gas, $37.00 for 10 gallons, 180 miles, 20.6 cents per mile. Your mileage
may vary, but back when gas was a buck a gallon, with ten cent jumps per
grade, made the math a lot different.

Rick Gaffney
65 140/4
richard.gaffney at gulfstream.com