<VV> start solenoid

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 15:53:36 EDT 2011

Greetings Vairfolk,

     A week or so ago I replaced the starter solenoid on the 66' because the
plastic housing on the old one was cracked.  Today I tried to crank the
engine for the first time since.

I turned the key and heard the solenoid click, but the car didn't crank.  I
figured the battery was run down from all my stereo testing, so I hooked up
my big charger/booster and tried again....  nothing.. no click.  Right about
this moment I smelled a very acrid burning odor.  I immediately jumped out
of the car and unhooked the battery.  When I unhooked the battery I heard
the start solenoid click off...

So once I turned the key the solenoid activated, and it stayed activated
until I disconnected the battery.  I got out my manual and checked the
wiring diagram, everything was right.  I checked for the leads at the
solenoid touching/shorting.. everything was ok.  I hooked the battery backup
and tested it again with the same result.  I turned the key, heard the
solenoid click, jumped out and disconnected the battery and the solenoid
clicked back.

I can't figure what would make the solenoid stick like that, but then
deactivate when I disconnect the battery.  Unfortunately I've done tons of
things since the last time I cranked the car (dash out, stereo installation,
tail light wiring and more) so I guess the problem could be almost anywhere.

Thanks,

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
Lake Ariel, PA