<VV> Corvair Fuel Mileage

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Wed Apr 20 19:26:31 EDT 2011

Tony is correct.  I always assume that people just want a new car and use fuel mileage for an excuse.  I drive an '89 Buick LeSabre for economy.  The car was free and gets about 30 on the highway.
Can others confirm that a Corvair can get over 30 mpg on the highway?  I've never really attempted good economy in any of mine.  Without trying I get about 18-20 mpg average with my '63 Greenbrier and '63 convertible.  Both are 4-speeds and pretty much run WOT most of the time.  I'm working on my '65 EFI so maybe it will get even better.
Someone should do the math but I would guess that a new car would have to get driven a ton of miles and get 100+ mpg to be worth the money.
Let's see 50 mpg + $4 for gas and $25 for the new car at $.50/mile (10k miles/year $20Kcar/4yr note)= $29/50 mpg = $.58/mile
30 mpg + $4 gas + $.10/mile maintenance (very high) = $7/30 = $.23/mile.  Oh wait the new car requires maintenance too doh!  And more insurance.  And interest on the note....
Joel McGregor